Wow :o Google is so awesome!
Hyde | HTML & CSS | PHP & SQL | Objective-C | Java | Basic JavaScript

Lemon

Lemon

I have a dream...

• Members
  • 802 posts
  • Expertise:HTML, CSS, PHP, Javascript, Node.js, SQL
This could be a pretty big blow to Adobe's own convertor they have in development too, especially considering this is one is free to use and Adobe's will inevitably have an ostentatiously high price. As for what this means for the future of Flash: this is less of a an immediate threat and more of a promoter of beginning to move media libraries into a more standard format. Unfortunately, until there is a really solid HTML5 animation development platform, it will still be easier to develop in Flash and then convert, as opposed to working in the raw HTML5 to begin with. As for quality though, this still leaves only a little to be desired, but nothing a set of bug fixes won't solve in time.

In cases of major discrepancy it's always reality that's got it wrong

Flight Plan Database

gibbonweb

gibbonweb

兄ヨハネス

• Members
  • 2078 posts
  • LocationMunich(DE)
  • Expertise:HTML, CSS, PHP, Javascript, Python, SQL, Graphics

This could be a pretty big blow to Adobe's own convertor they have in development too, especially considering this is one is free to use and Adobe's will inevitably have an ostentatiously high price. As for what this means for the future of Flash: this is less of a an immediate threat and more of a promoter of beginning to move media libraries into a more standard format. Unfortunately, until there is a really solid HTML5 animation development platform, it will still be easier to develop in Flash and then convert, as opposed to working in the raw HTML5 to begin with. As for quality though, this still leaves only a little to be desired, but nothing a set of bug fixes won't solve in time.

I don't think Adobe will have to worry: Photoshop is an insanely expensive app too and they sell it pretty well. I think it's a totally different target audience. For Google it's a "cloud service" with "you get as much as we have currently implemented", whereas with Adobe you will get a professional toolbox which will support each and every aspect of Flash which is technically convertible to HTML5.

http://goo.gl/FIW9W

MIND = BLOWN

This preview is invalid or has expired. Previews are available for 15 minutes.

Sephern

Sephern
  • Moderators
  • 1049 posts
  • LocationLeeds, UK
  • Expertise:HTML, CSS, PHP, Javascript, Python
Fairly sure that at the moment it can only support the conversion of basic flash animations which just use Frames. Anything more complex, including actionscript and stuff, can't be processed by this tool.

The other thing that's standing in the way of replacing Flash completely with HTML5 + JS is the lack of a decent IDE. When you're using canvas, you need to use code to draw everything. With Flash, the IDE handles it for you. Coders don't tend to be the best designers/animators, and vice versa. One of the major advantages of flash is that it combines the 2 together in an IDE which is intuitive for both.

Hyde

Hyde
  • Members
  • 1697 posts

I don't think Adobe will have to worry: Photoshop is an insanely expensive app too and they sell it pretty well. I think it's a totally different target audience. For Google it's a "cloud service" with "you get as much as we have currently implemented", whereas with Adobe you will get a professional toolbox which will support each and every aspect of Flash which is technically convertible to HTML5.

True that, they will be two different products.
Hyde | HTML & CSS | PHP & SQL | Objective-C | Java | Basic JavaScript

BigZzz

BigZzz
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Fairly sure that at the moment it can only support the conversion of basic flash animations which just use Frames. Anything more complex, including actionscript and stuff, can't be processed by this tool.

The other thing that's standing in the way of replacing Flash completely with HTML5 + JS is the lack of a decent IDE. When you're using canvas, you need to use code to draw everything. With Flash, the IDE handles it for you. Coders don't tend to be the best designers/animators, and vice versa. One of the major advantages of flash is that it combines the 2 together in an IDE which is intuitive for both.

But, still HTML5 isn't complete yet and is still a work in progress, there will be more improvements and it will have a lot more to offer and there will be a time when it completely replaces flash.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Sephern

Sephern
  • Moderators
  • 1049 posts
  • LocationLeeds, UK
  • Expertise:HTML, CSS, PHP, Javascript, Python

But, still HTML5 isn't complete yet and is still a work in progress, there will be more improvements and it will have a lot more to offer and there will be a time when it completely replaces flash.

It will gradually take more and more mindshare, yeah. It'll never completely replace flash I guess, but it'll get to the point where new projects are undertaken in different technologies than Flash.

ShanePerreault

ShanePerreault

Sleep Burns My Eyes

• Members
  • 1075 posts
  • LocationChicago, USA
  • Expertise:PHP, Java, Javascript, Ruby on Rails, SQL
I like it, but it still doesn't have some of the flash features I like, for instance, motion blur is gone. And there is a noticeable speed difference.

Languages: PHP | JS | Ruby | Rails | C# | Python | Java

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users