• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

brice

brice
  • Members
  • 16 posts
  • LocationBelize
  • Expertise:HTML, CSS, PHP, Java, Javascript, Graphics
I recently installed an Opensuse instance on Amazon EC2. I would like to know how to tunnel my packets via ssh tunneling from my laptop (macbook pro) to teh Amazon EC2 instance (Opensuse). Could someone give me a hand setting this up. IF needed. I can install an instance that is not Opensuse but rather Ubuntu or Debian if need.

Thanks

Running  Mountain Lion on Macbook Pro. Intel Core 2 Duo. 4GB Ram. 512MB Video Card - 9600MGT

Daniel15

Daniel15

dan.cx

• Moderators
  • 3744 posts
  • LocationMountain View, CA
  • Expertise:HTML, CSS, PHP, Java, Javascript, Node.js, SQL
I believe it's enabled by default in OpenSSH. Use something like
ssh -D 9999 username@serveraddress
to connect, then set your browser's proxy server to a SOCKS proxy of localhost port 9999.

Edit: http://dltj.org/arti...as-socks-proxy/ explains it a bit better. Uses port 9050, but it's the exact same thing (you can choose whatever port number you want). It has a Mac screenshot that may or may not help you (I don't own a Mac so can't help with its configuration).
Daniel15! :D
Posted Image

Repeat after me: jQuery is not JavaScript. It is not the answer to every JavaScript-related question. When you have to write some JavaScript, do not instantly react with "Oh, I'll do that with jQuery!"

Spoiler

Earnest

Earnest
  • Members
  • 98 posts
  • LocationLausanne
If SSH tunneling is enabled on your server, here is how to set up your side:

1. Open terminal, type "ssh -D 9999 username@serveraddress" (add "-p ###" replacing ### by a specific port number you want to ssh trough instead of the standard 22)

2. Go to system preferences->network->currentnetworkmode(ie. AirPort)->Advanced->Proxies->SOCKS proxy->Server 127.0.0.1 Port 9999, no username or password

3. Now most of your applications will go through this tunnel. Use the box below the proxy settings to add exception that you don't want to tunnel for.
Thug aim.

brice

brice
  • Members
  • 16 posts
  • LocationBelize
  • Expertise:HTML, CSS, PHP, Java, Javascript, Graphics
Thanks for the help guys, It works great. I removed the Open Suse instance and installed ubuntu 10.04.

Running  Mountain Lion on Macbook Pro. Intel Core 2 Duo. 4GB Ram. 512MB Video Card - 9600MGT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users