Photo

Site dying down :(

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

Mack

Mack
  • Members
  • 2,100 posts
When the site was first started, there were tons of posts. Now its starting to die down, which is what I was afraid would happen :( I've been through like every category, and the posts per hour is much lower now

wind0ws

wind0ws
  • Members
  • 109 posts
  • LocationWorld Wide Web
  • Expertise:HTML, CSS, PHP, Java, Javascript, SQL
Maybe the people is concentrated on their projects ;)

if(!(Google.search(question.value()))

wdR.ask(question.value())

Downloading your HDD's data loader_bar_lt_gray.gif0% done (or not? muahaha.gif)

KUNITZ

KUNITZ
  • Members
  • 44 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario
  • Expertise:HTML, CSS, PHP
To be honest, I was surprised at how fast this site grew, but the only reason it grew so fast was because it was linked from Appulo.us. Alot of the people came, saw, and are now leaving because they aren't interested in web development. Just give it a while for more of the web developers to find it. Also maybe if you linked to this, it may bring more people.
KUNITZ
Codes: HTML • CSS • XML • PHP • MySQL
Plays: Heroes of Newerth • Counter-Strike: Source • DotA 2

4.95$ Amazing Hosting!

Starblaster100

Starblaster100
  • Members
  • 211 posts
  • LocationEngland
  • Expertise:HTML, CSS, PHP, Javascript, SQL
It was expected to happen; the first boom of people excited about a new website with such a popular guy leading it, and now only the people who actually want to help and learn and left. As people get more and more into their own personal projects, the site will being to pick up again :)

hydralisk

hydralisk
  • Administrators
  • 496 posts
  • Expertise:HTML, CSS, Javascript, Flash
Last time I checked, there were ~1120 members with 0 posts.

Also, a lot of the posts\topics are full of people looking for handouts and\or nonsensical ideas.

But I'm going to stick with it for the serious folk and hope it grows into a web development community worthy of respect.

Hyde

Hyde
  • Members
  • 1,825 posts
Let's go Kyek, you can make this work! :)

CalmAsToast

CalmAsToast
  • Members
  • 11 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
As an Admin on another forum, I've seen this before. It's nothing to be concerned about, it's just part of the growth process. People are excited and active when a site is first launched, but then life takes over and things on the site slow down to a "normal "pace. Growth also slows down, but as long as new people are joining and contributing, the site will continue to grow in quality as well. Based on the background and history of this site, and why many of the early members joined, the members that are being attracted now, are more likely to be regular participants, than many of those who signed up at the beginning. This again will only help to strengthen the site as it continues to grow.

Well, that's my two cents anyway.

CalmAsToast
...have you ever seen excited toast?

Olli

Olli

Veteran.

• Members
  • 685 posts
  • LocationEngland, Manchester
  • Expertise:HTML, CSS, Graphics
well, im still here if that counts :huh:

I LOVE YOU ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL :rolleyes:

Steam : Ollibreh

if you want to achieve greatness stop asking for permission

KUNITZ

KUNITZ
  • Members
  • 44 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario
  • Expertise:HTML, CSS, PHP
I agree with CalmAsToast, as long as we have a core posting and helping, we should be able to draw in more active users.
KUNITZ
Codes: HTML • CSS • XML • PHP • MySQL
Plays: Heroes of Newerth • Counter-Strike: Source • DotA 2

4.95$ Amazing Hosting!

Kyek

Kyek

Founder of wdR

• Administrators
  • 5,527 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA, USA
  • Expertise:HTML, CSS, PHP, Java, Javascript, Node.js, SQL
Yep, this isn't anything unexpected :) I'm actually really really optimistic, because people are finding us through google a good bit now. Though the most common searches people find us with are about how to hack formspring rather than about programming topics >:o But hopefully that ratio will shift soon ;-)

Mack

Mack
  • Members
  • 2,100 posts
The advantage of more people posting questions that are answered, is that then this forum would show up for a google search for that question. Once the pagerank of wdR gets high enough, people should hopefully start coming in

AbysalRush

AbysalRush
  • Members
  • 41 posts
  • Location127.0.0.1
Perhaps google bombing web development to link here would bring a lot of people in :P.
"Get too close to the sun, and all you're going to do is burn up"
"Only sheep need a shepherd" - Voltaire

Mark

Mark
  • Members
  • 549 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA, USA
  • Expertise:HTML, CSS

Yep, this isn't anything unexpected :) I'm actually really really optimistic, because people are finding us through google a good bit now. Though the most common searches people find us with are about how to hack formspring rather than about programming topics >:o But hopefully that ratio will shift soon ;-)

haha so true

magik

magik

magikly delicious

• Members
  • 1,095 posts
  • Expertise:HTML, PHP, Javascript, SQL
I think the growth is fine. Anyone expecting a lot of regular contributing members out of that first big bang is crazy. Most of the users who joined at the start probably won't ever come back, either they didn't know what this place was and just signed up, or were looking for something relating to appulous, or something along those lines.

I think as above people have stated, as long as there are good posts regularly coming in, the site will grow on it's own. Personally, I'd love it if this place had nothing to do with appulous at the start - and we wouldn't get that type of traffic

.... magik's most awesomely rainbowed signature =þ

Your signature may contain:

• Any number images
  • Images of any size
  • Any number of URLs
  • Any number of lines

dangerous...

Kyek

Kyek

Founder of wdR

• Administrators
  • 5,527 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA, USA
  • Expertise:HTML, CSS, PHP, Java, Javascript, Node.js, SQL

I think the growth is fine. Anyone expecting a lot of regular contributing members out of that first big bang is crazy. Most of the users who joined at the start probably won't ever come back, either they didn't know what this place was and just signed up, or were looking for something relating to appulous, or something along those lines.

I think as above people have stated, as long as there are good posts regularly coming in, the site will grow on it's own. Personally, I'd love it if this place had nothing to do with appulous at the start - and we wouldn't get that type of traffic

Sooooo, how did you find this site? ;-)

magik

magik

magikly delicious

• Members
  • 1,095 posts
  • Expertise:HTML, PHP, Javascript, SQL

Sooooo, how did you find this site? ;-)

well true =þ

but at the same time - I think you're going to have gotten all the regulars from the iphone/appulous scene already. I don't think too many more people are going to be coming from that vein.

.... magik's most awesomely rainbowed signature =þ

Your signature may contain:

• Any number images
  • Images of any size
  • Any number of URLs
  • Any number of lines

dangerous...

Secretss

Secretss
  • Members
  • 248 posts
I'm still here too! :D Though, not like I contribute a lot to the main flow.. :( "Most Active in: General Discussion" (in other words, the lounge) :lol: I don't know why I'm here =/ I don't know the languages and I'm not planning to create anything; I'm more likely here coz because I have a serious case of compulsoforumjoinocitis xD

Based on the background and history of this site, and why many of the early members joined, the members that are being attracted now, are more likely to be regular participants, than many of those who signed up at the beginning.

I concur! The growth chart may have reached a plateau at this point but we can be sure 99% of those people coming in from now on are the real gems, so to speak :D It's better than getting only 30% of the initial population boom as gems.

Does that make sense? For some reason that made me think of purification and crystallisation.

rafael

rafael
  • Members
  • 96 posts
If I look around at the forums I've been at, all of them have a very small core of users who are simply holding it up. Here though, I've found the number of regular posters is highest.

About activity - I have to say, like Secretss, guilty as charged. However, I think that many people who first signed up here still do want to learn and the same goes for me, but right now we're in the middle of term time with exams coming up...

XingChow

XingChow
  • Members
  • 190 posts
I joined because Kyek is my god.

DarkCoder

DarkCoder
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts
  • LocationEngland, United Kingdom
  • Expertise:HTML, CSS, PHP, Javascript, SQL
I've just done some maths, and the top 20 posters on this forum are responsible for 3582 posts - thats almost half of the roughly 8000 posts at the time of writing this...

I joined because Kyek is my god.

Same...

Could you please add some anylyctic code to the site that everyone can see? I would be really interested to see how many visitors we get and what the most popular refering Google search terms are...
Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users