- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Qasim

Qasim
  • Members
  • 548 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada
  • Expertise:HTML, CSS, PHP, Java, Javascript, Python, Ruby on Rails, Node.js, Graphics, MongoDB, Cassandra

Been messing with Illustrator a lot lately, and since I'll be heading out to UOfTHacks this September I thought I might as well make some business cards. Still fairly new to Illustrator but here's what I came up with. Goals were simplicity and casual, did not want to come off too serious in the business card, hence the really informal bio.

8xTTbJb.jpg

ArronH

ArronH

I'm a httpster

• Moderators
  • 3,667 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA
  • Expertise:HTML, CSS, Javascript, Graphics, Flash
Remove your Age and that you are a High school student. Why? Nobody cares. Only give people information about how good you are and what you do. 

I love love love the style you went with. Super simple and clean. Excellent typeface choice for your contact info. Maybe change your website to http://qas.im, since not everyone knows that .im is a TLD.

DO NOT OPEN THIS

Spoiler

TheMaster

TheMaster
  • Members
  • 1,417 posts
  • LocationAustralia
  • Expertise:HTML, CSS, PHP, Java, Javascript, SQL
Everything that Arron said. I personally find the fact that nobody cares about your age very reassuring.

One thing I'd look out for though (I've been pulled up on this before). If you are a high school student - you aren't a software engineer, in the strictest sense of the word. Yes you might ... "engineer software", but you aren't really qualified to use that as a title.

I know engineers who are very picky about this, and who detest anything that doesn't warrant you a place in the Engineering Society, using the "engineer" title. (i.e. sound engineer, video engineer etc).

If you remove the "high school student" thing, (which you absolutely should), and leave the "software engineer" thing, you might give people the wrong idea, and IF (on the off chance) that they ask to see qualifications, or even just ask you about it, you'll be in a tough place. Better to just put what you do "website development, graphic design" or whatever service it is you are offering, than pretend to be qualified in the area.

To be completely honest, most people don't even care about qualifications any more. A good portfolio goes much further (in many cases - not all), than a resume full of college or Uni degrees.

I'm not doubting your ability, or saying you aren't better than people who *have* gone and done degrees, but it's just polite to 1) allow people who have done degrees to be the ones able to use those titles or ... descriptions and 2) not confuse people as to what you actually are.

Hope I've made the point as clear and simple as possible. I'd actually love to hear what some other guys think about it, and whether you agree/disagree with what I've said and why.

Qasim

Qasim
  • Members
  • 548 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada
  • Expertise:HTML, CSS, PHP, Java, Javascript, Python, Ruby on Rails, Node.js, Graphics, MongoDB, Cassandra

Everything that Arron said. I personally find the fact that nobody cares about your age very reassuring.

One thing I'd look out for though (I've been pulled up on this before). If you are a high school student - you aren't a software engineer, in the strictest sense of the word. Yes you might ... "engineer software", but you aren't really qualified to use that as a title.

I know engineers who are very picky about this, and who detest anything that doesn't warrant you a place in the Engineering Society, using the "engineer" title. (i.e. sound engineer, video engineer etc).

If you remove the "high school student" thing, (which you absolutely should), and leave the "software engineer" thing, you might give people the wrong idea, and IF (on the off chance) that they ask to see qualifications, or even just ask you about it, you'll be in a tough place. Better to just put what you do "website development, graphic design" or whatever service it is you are offering, than pretend to be qualified in the area.

To be completely honest, most people don't even care about qualifications any more. A good portfolio goes much further (in many cases - not all), than a resume full of college or Uni degrees.

I'm not doubting your ability, or saying you aren't better than people who *have* gone and done degrees, but it's just polite to 1) allow people who have done degrees to be the ones able to use those titles or ... descriptions and 2) not confuse people as to what you actually are.

Hope I've made the point as clear and simple as possible. I'd actually love to hear what some other guys think about it, and whether you agree/disagree with what I've said and why.

About the age and high school point, this is mainly targeted not at employers but at fellow students and undergrads I'll be meeting when I go around to universities, not really showing what I'm good at, think of this kind of card as a small personal bio that people can read and get to know me better (that's the goal at least)

About the software engineering point, I'm a full-time software engineer at MCF Technologies, I get where you're coming from but since I do have that title I guess it does seem reasonable to use it. So I'm not entirely "pretending" to be qualified as that is my title in the contract I signed. Thanks for the info though

Thanks for the reply though! I totally agree with your point on qualifications, I have no qualifications except my high school diploma

Fike

Fike
  • Members
  • 363 posts
  • LocationIreland
  • Expertise:PHP, Javascript, Python, SQL

Love it, simple and to the point. Good work :)

web developer :: HTML, CSS, JavaScript (node), Python, PHP, MySQL, Mongo.
server admin :: experience with debian (and debian based distros), Gentoo, FreeBSD, OpenBSD.
social :: @nixhead (Twitter), Fudge (IRC), Github (FionnK), Personal Blog.

SapporoGuy

SapporoGuy
  • Members
  • 1,970 posts
  • LocationSapporo Beer Factory
Nice! A little simple from a traditional business card point of view but hey if it's in the States than who gives a F'!

Have you thought of using plastic instead of paper? Or even using an "off sized" non standard paper size? Japan is super hard core about business cards and you get judged by it alone at times but I've still seen some impressive pieces that stick out like a fireball in the sky simply because it was totally different in shape or size.

A few years ago, I also remember seeing business cards that were also playable flash based CDs! They were pretty awesome but I wouldn't put one in a lot loading PC like my MacBook Pro since I doubt it'll pop out!

Zorro

Zorro
  • Members
  • 11 posts
I think there is a real benefit to having your photo on your business card. How many business cards have you collected at a networking event - and you threw them out because you could not remember anything about the person. A potential client might have several cards from MTs - have them remember you

callumacrae

callumacrae

JavaScript Ninja

• Members
  • 3,467 posts
  • LocationLondon
  • Expertise:HTML, CSS, Javascript, Node.js
Very nice! I'm considering redesigning mine this time.

Front-end developer and writer
Twitter | GitHub | phpBB Contributor and Website Team Member | macr.ae

SapporoGuy

SapporoGuy
  • Members
  • 1,970 posts
A picture can go both ways though ... Maybe professional on front and contact + picture on back with an area to take notes.

ianonavy

ianonavy
  • Members
  • 921 posts
  • Expertise:HTML, CSS, Java, Javascript, Python, SQL

Very nice! I'm considering redesigning mine this time.

Can't tell whether you noticed this post is from 2013...

SapporoGuy

SapporoGuy
  • Members
  • 1,970 posts
Coincidence more than not noticing.
Lots of his posts / threads are getting necro'd lately ...

callumacrae

callumacrae

JavaScript Ninja

• Members
  • 3,467 posts
  • LocationLondon
oops

i blame the Zorro spammer dude

TheMaster

TheMaster
  • Members
  • 1,417 posts
  • LocationAustralia
  • Expertise:HTML, CSS, PHP, Java, Javascript, SQL
Is necroing spamming? I was considering making a necro bot that chooses a random thread each day, and "brings it back from the grave". Any objections?

SapporoGuy

SapporoGuy
  • Members
  • 1,970 posts
Not always ... However this Zorro is a bit of mystery ... Seems like half lurker half participator ... If this is the case not so much a spammer.

It also depends on the community. Some actually prefer necro threads over new.

Sephern

Sephern
  • Moderators
  • 1,143 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK
  • Expertise:HTML, CSS, PHP, Javascript, Python

Is necroing spamming? I was considering making a necro bot that chooses a random thread each day, and "brings it back from the grave". Any objections?

I would object. I browse the forum by looking in the 'New Content' bit. I don't want that to be filled with necro posts which aren't relevant and don't actually have any new content.

callumacrae

callumacrae

JavaScript Ninja

• Members
  • 3,467 posts
  • LocationLondon
yeah please dont do that lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users