- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

JustinP

JustinP
  • Members
  • 311 posts
  • LocationEarth!
So I saw the Photosho CS6 beta was out and since I didn't have school, decided to take a shot at trying to design something. I've never really used photoshop before so I've been following a tutorial. I'm at step 7 and I'm stumped... maybe it's because I'm a photoshop noob, but I can't seem to figure out how to give my box a linear gradient overlay and where I'd go about doing that.

Can someone offer some pointers? A better tutorial that's for CS6 or is more oriented for beginners would be great.

Cocoa

Cocoa
  • Members
  • 418 posts
  • LocationEngland
Not sure if they took the Microsoft approach and changed everything around or not.

1. Anyway, if you look at the layers side menu, bottom right.

2. Choose a layer and right click on it to see a list of options.

3. Look near the top of the list of options for "Blending Options".

4. Then a small screen will pop up with (to use Arron's word) a plethora of options available to you.

5. Near the bottom of the menu list on the small screen, you should see an option called "Gradient Overlay".

All done.

Dan || HTML || CSS || Web & Graphic Designer

Oh, there's no place like 127.0.0.1

Portfolio | Forrst (6 Invites) | Dribbble

MY FIRST TUTORIAL - HOW TO CREATE THE IRON MAN LOGO

JustinP

JustinP
  • Members
  • 311 posts
  • LocationEarth!

Not sure if they took the Microsoft approach and changed everything around or not.

1. Anyway, if you look at the layers side menu, bottom right.

2. Choose a layer and right click on it to see a list of options.

3. Look near the top of the list of options for "Blending Options".

4. Then a small screen will pop up with (to use Arron's word) a plethora of options available to you.

5. Near the bottom of the menu list on the small screen, you should see an option called "Gradient Overlay".

All done.

aha! but then how do I change it so the gradient is from xxxxxx to zzzzzz?

Cocoa

Cocoa
  • Members
  • 418 posts
  • LocationEngland

aha! but then how do I change it so the gradient is from xxxxxx to zzzzzz?

Click the checkbox to select the effect, then click the word "Gradient Overlay" and the screen with options will change to the Gradient Overlay options where you can change it all :)

JustinP

JustinP
  • Members
  • 311 posts
  • LocationEarth!

Click the checkbox to select the effect, then click the word "Gradient Overlay" and the screen with options will change to the Gradient Overlay options where you can change it all :)

Yeah, I got that <_< http://d.pr/TZEc

It's just where do I input the two values? (in this case, #d2d2d0 to #ffffff)
Never mind... I found it after fiddling around :/

ArronH

ArronH

I'm a httpster

• Moderators
  • 3,667 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA
  • Expertise:HTML, CSS, Javascript, Graphics, Flash
Heads up, many tools have changed between CS3 and CS6, so if you can't find things it's probably for that reason :)
DO NOT OPEN THIS

Spoiler

Cocoa

Cocoa
  • Members
  • 418 posts
  • LocationEngland

Yeah, I got that <_< http://d.pr/TZEc

It's just where do I input the two values? (in this case, #d2d2d0 to #ffffff)
Never mind... I found it after fiddling around :/

Oh right, the two colour values can be found on the left menu bar with all the different tools. It's the two small boxes near the bottom of the list of tools. There should be one box in black and another in white. Click the boxes to change the colours.

Heads up, many tools have changed between CS3 and CS6, so if you can't find things it's probably for that reason :)

I don't think they changed much in terms of the layout of things with CS5 and CS6 though, did they?

JustinP

JustinP
  • Members
  • 311 posts
  • LocationEarth!

Yeah, I figured :/ but then again, I couldn't really find any other decent tuts on how to design a website from scratch. Now that I think of it, hadn't you been talking a while ago about making tutorials? I thought there was a thread where people could request them...-nudge-

Oh right, the two colour values can be found on the left menu bar with all the different tools. It's the two small boxes near the bottom of the list of tools. There should be one box in black and another in white. Click the boxes to change the colours.

That's not actually where I found it o.O

ArronH

ArronH

I'm a httpster

• Moderators
  • 3,667 posts

I don't think they changed much in terms of the layout of things with CS5 and CS6 though, did they?

I still get confused in CS6 on some things. For example they randomly decided to re-arrange the list of layer styles in the layer style panel in CS6. It makes more sense now I admit but I still get lost. Specifically Drop shadow is now last in the list, it used to be stroke. So I keep adding shadows to my shapes instead of outlines.
DO NOT OPEN THIS

Spoiler

JustinP

JustinP
  • Members
  • 311 posts
  • LocationEarth!
What's even the point of layers... I don't see why my tutorial has me making a ton of them for each element...

Lemon

Lemon
  • Members
  • 850 posts
  • Expertise:HTML, CSS, PHP, Javascript, Node.js, SQL
Layers let you separate elements into distinct items that as a whole constitute the image. It may not seem important now, but when you decide you want to move that item 1px to the left, doing it in a layer is trivial, doing it without layers will be difficult, verging on impossible if it has destructively deleted data behind. Plus layers allow you to apply styles and effects to only a small region of an image. There's a million other benefits to layers, of which these are just a few.

JustinP

JustinP
  • Members
  • 311 posts
  • LocationEarth!

Layers let you separate elements into distinct items that as a whole constitute the image. It may not seem important now, but when you decide you want to move that item 1px to the left, doing it in a layer is trivial, doing it without layers will be difficult, verging on impossible if it has destructively deleted data behind. Plus layers allow you to apply styles and effects to only a small region of an image. There's a million other benefits to layers, of which these are just a few.

Can't you just select the shape in this box and use the move tool?

Lemon

Lemon
  • Members
  • 850 posts
  • Expertise:HTML, CSS, PHP, Javascript, Node.js, SQL
A shape is just a layer, only for vector data rather than raster. They behave pretty much the same in terms of applying layer styles but differ in how you manipulate the actual layer content only.

JustinP

JustinP
  • Members
  • 311 posts
  • LocationEarth!
So if a shape is a layer, what's the point of creating them left and right?

ArronH

ArronH

I'm a httpster

• Moderators
  • 3,667 posts

So if a shape is a layer, what's the point of creating them left and right?

What do you mean?

In photoshop there are different types of layers. Shape layers, Adjustment layers, text layers, raster layers, and smart object layers. Each one behaves a little differently.

The point of having multiple layers is because it is non-destructive. Lets say you need to draw a black box, fill it with a gradient, adjust the hue and then mask it to a circle object? Well you can do that, but then what if you want to change the hue to a different value? Well too bad because you already applied the change and unless you want to cmnd+z a bunch of times or start over you are screwed. BUT if you have used an adjustment layer change the hue, you can simply delete that layer or change the value of it in the dialog box. Since everything is a layer you can easily delete them, change them or remove them without starting over.
DO NOT OPEN THIS

Spoiler

JustinP

JustinP
  • Members
  • 311 posts
  • LocationEarth!

What do you mean?

In photoshop there are different types of layers. Shape layers, Adjustment layers, text layers, raster layers, and smart object layers. Each one behaves a little differently.

The point of having multiple layers is because it is non-destructive. Lets say you need to draw a black box, fill it with a gradient, adjust the hue and then mask it to a circle object? Well you can do that, but then what if you want to change the hue to a different value? Well too bad because you already applied the change and unless you want to cmnd+z a bunch of times or start over you are screwed. BUT if you have used an adjustment layer change the hue, you can simply delete that layer or change the value of it in the dialog box. Since everything is a layer you can easily delete them, change them or remove them without starting over.

but when you make the shape it automatically makes it's own layer for it....I think. Why then, is there the button for creating a new layer?

ArronH

ArronH

I'm a httpster

• Moderators
  • 3,667 posts

but when you make the shape it automatically makes it's own layer for it....I think. Why then, is there the button for creating a new layer?

That is correct. The "new layer" button makes a new, empty, RASTER layer for you to freely draw in with raster tools (like the paintbrush, gradient tool, and all photo editing tools).

A shape will create it's own layer when you create it. Same with the text tool ;)
DO NOT OPEN THIS

Spoiler

Hyde

Hyde
  • Members
  • 1,825 posts

Photoshop isn't limited to shapes and text. For example, if you want to use filters such as blur ands clouds (etc.) it can be done on a layer. That way, you can cover your whole image and if you decide that you don't want it, you just have to hide it or delete it.

Layers are also awesome for organization! It's not only easier to pick exactly the layer that you want from the list, but you can also group them. For example, when I do a mockup of a web design in Photoshop, I group every layers that are associated to the header in a group that I call Header. With this, when I decide that the whole header needs to be shifted 2 pixels down, it's a matter of seconds.

JustinP

JustinP
  • Members
  • 311 posts
  • LocationEarth!

That is correct. The "new layer" button makes a new, empty, RASTER layer for you to freely draw in with raster tools (like the paintbrush, gradient tool, and all photo editing tools).

A shape will create it's own layer when you create it. Same with the text tool ;)

Ahahah it makes sense now! But then I still don't get why the tutorial I've been following kept telling me to create new layers when they were getting created automatically when I added new shapes...

ArronH

ArronH

I'm a httpster

• Moderators
  • 3,667 posts
Grouping layers is an excellent productivity tip. Always label your layers/groups so you don't get lost. Organize them in a way that is easy to find. My PSDs usually comprise of ~200 layers and probably 50 or so groups and subgroups.

AND new with CS6, you can apply layer styles to a group! No need to use mart objects when applying multiple layer styles. Just group group GROUP AWAY!

Ahahah it makes sense now! But then I still don't get why the tutorial I've been following kept telling me to create new layers when they were getting created automatically when I added new shapes...

Ah...I see. There are points where it says "create a new layer and draw a rectangle shape". That's the Author's fault for not realizing it does this automatically.
DO NOT OPEN THIS

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users